Tuesday, March 15, 2022

MCOM Week 8 (chapters 10& 12)

 This section of the book taught me a lot on listening. I felt like I was the master listener after being a BYU Freshman Year Mentor. We were taught the keys to being the best listening. One of the points was to use silence. This was hard for me to do at first because I am naturally such a talker and wanted to sound like I was engaged. I would subconsciously insert different words like "totally" or "uh huh" when really these were not needed at all to validate that I was listening to what they were saying. The other points of the acronym "SOARS" were silence, open ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and summary. These were addressed in the book as being the secret recipe to having people adore you.

I loved his example of how when you are talking to Bill Clinton, you feel like you are the only one in the world. You his only focus and he will flatter you instead of himself. This ability is what brought him from a humble upbringing to Arkansas to the President of the United States. 


No comments: